Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A new experience...

There seem to be quite a few new experiences these days in the world of a first time (about to be second time) mommy, missionary, wife, furlough traveling woman. And although I know you all love (or at least tolerate really well :) hearing about the craziness that is Nathan... tonight the new experience was just for me as a person... as a child of God.

Nathan and I made it to my parents house safe and sound yesterday... exhausted, but safe and sound. We were so blessed every step of the way to have people sitting around us, in line around us, and in the general vicinity of us that were kid friendly. Meaning, they didn't look at me as if I was putting them out by traveling alone with my two year old, and most of them were so happy to talk to Nathan, high five Nathan, blow kisses to Nathan, and anything else that would keep him entertained, so yes... very blessed was I!

However, the new experience happened tonight at church. I blogged earlier about the anticipation of being able to be a "normal" participant in church for a few months and also how I was looking forward to worshipping in my "heart language" again, but I truly had no idea what lay ahead. As I sat there in what felt like a true multitude I felt a little schizophrenic... mind you, I'm pretty sure I'm not a diagnosed schizo, nor have I ever recognized those tendencies in myself :) But tonight standing with Nathan in my arms and worshipping I was so overwhelmed... I can't even think of words to truly explain it.

My mind was bouncing around like the ball in a pinball machine trying to understand what it was truly feeling. If I had to explain it in image form it was as if there were all these me's... each one feeling something so so so different. The first me was so enjoying the true privilege of being able to worship in English, among brothers and sisters and without any true work responsibilities at the same time. The second me could not help but want to run up front and try and "help" (alright alright I said "help"... not lecture :) everyone understand what a true gift they have been given in being a part of a body that it able to worship freely together every week... I just wanted to "help" everyone understand what they've been given and not to view it as a chore but a true gift. The third me was aching for our teammates who have yet to come home on furlough... wishing that they could have been standing right beside me, singing praises to the God who has carried us through the past two years. And the fourth me ached for our Bolivian brothers and sisters... I imagined what my sister Leticia would think and feel sitting beside me. Leticia and her family worshipped in Cochabamba for years all by themselves. They on so many occasions have expressed to us as a team what it means to their family to have the fellowship of our families and the new church body in Cochabamba. So my heart could only imagine what she would have felt sitting among her American brothers and sisters of such a great multitude... hearing their many many voices raised in praise to the God she has worshipped for years, whether alone or with a body of believers.

As I held Nathan and he clapped his hands in praise as we sang the tears ran down my face. I am blessed. There is not one Laura who wins out over them all, but a melding of them each... and while there is such a mixture of joy, guilt, responsibility, and longing... they together result in an individual who will treasure these next few months of being blessed by her brothers and sisters stateside, while remembering in her heart that her Christian family is not bound by geography, or genealogy, but only by the blood of Christ that covers us all. What a new experience it was to be so so so full of so many different emotions, but it is each of those emotions that make me who I am, that explain better the journey God has brought me on, and the path that I and our family continue down. God bless and Good night... more stories from the road to come :)

17 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about you tonight! How long are you here? I will be out for the next 12 days but after that, let's get together. Oh how I would love nothing better than a good ole Laura Bull hug!

    susangwen78@yahoo.com

    Love you-so glad you were able to worship tonight in America!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We leave Saturday morning and get back on the 30th.

    We could hook up on Friday if you want, just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand. Just wanted you to know....
    I sat and read your post nearly in tears as I felt those emotions right along with you, sister. I also understand the longing you have for everyone else to understand. Know that you will be in our prayers during your time in a place you want to call home but don't know what to call it.
    Enjoy your time with family...what a blessing!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you made it in ok. And that IS such a blessing to have understanding people by your side the whole way. Good for you making the trip.

    I will be following your blog to know how you are doing. Bless you for your sweet heart.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad for you! Live it up and savor every minute - even if they are filled with conflicted emotions. Love and miss you already!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you go first, Taco Bell or Taco Bueno?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this experience. These experiences can be difficult to put words to and even more difficult to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I caught I glimpse of you, your parents, and little Nathan walking into church last night from the parkign lot where I was pulling in. . actually I think Nathan was bouncing in while maybe grandparents were holding his hands? Not sure, but it was cute. I had the same thoughts for you that I always felt for Randy and kelly on their "first time" back to worship at "home". Kinda makes me teary just pondering it, actually. Won't heaven be SO FUN - having all the brothers and sisters from all over this big globe together lifting ONE GIANT voice of praise? Anyway, just had to let you know that even though I don't really know you, I sure was excited to see you and excited FOR you last night when I caught a little glimpse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO GLAD you are here! I know you are overwhelmed right now, but Charles and I will be at RH this weekend with a little "booth" advertising things they are raising money for for Harvest Sunday offering. Make sure you find me if you are there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this Laura. That first worship time back in your own language is overwhelming...I can hardly get through worship when my Mom and Dad and Sister's voices are all singing around me.
    Heavenly...:-) How great our Home with Him will be. (And we don't pack any bags to travel there!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura,
    I can identify with every word you wrote...i so want to see you while you are here. You can email me at rkvaughn@harvestfields.net and maybe we can be in touch.
    Soak it all in...expect His blessing daily! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:29 PM

    Thanks for the reminder that we need to consider every time that we gather with our brothers and sisters is a blessing. We often take for granted that we have the freedom to worship and express our faith so easily. Thanks for your open heart, it's a beautiful blessing.

    BTW...when is Gary joining you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you made it here safely and that your "homecoming worship" has been all you had hoped for! I love how you described it; it makes me keep the blessing of worship in perspective for me (even when I have to juggle two little ones)! If you don't have my phone number, please let me know and I will email it to you. Looking forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura,
    I'm glad you made it back safely. I pray that God continues to bless you guys and that you are daily encouraged as you were in worship. Have fun!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura,

    I'm so happy for you back there in the States worshipping with family and friends. Live and love every minute! We'll be looking forward to hearing your stories. I'm glad you made the journey well. Praise God for strangers' kindnesses.

    Love,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura,

    This was beautiful, and you did a great job expressing all of the different sides of you experiencing American worship again. My first time back I cried through the first two worship services...to make it worse, at the first one, we sang "Peace, Perfect Peace" and the line, "Peace, perfect peace...with loved ones far away..." totally did me in.

    It is a beautiful and yet heart-wrenching experience. May God bless you with many more like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i, of course have tears as i read your thoughts. thank you for always not holding back on your deep heart feelings. i ask God to bless your time with your family here in the states. God is your portion.

    ReplyDelete