Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Confessions of the borderline obsessive compulsive :)

For those who know me well, and I mean really well, they can tell you that I occasionally have some obsessive compulsive tendancies. It's not something that's across the board (you can ask Gary about that... although some days as far as house cleaning goes he probably wishes it was :) but none the less there are a few little quirks to Laura Bull.

One of those comes in the form of eating habits... and not just any eating, but candy eating. When enjoying the num-nums (you gotta love Nathanisms) of Skittles or M&Ms I am known for eating like colors together. You see the correct way to eat these yummy treats is in pairs, as in two hard candy shells at a time, but not a green and a red, or a brown and a blue, no... all pairs must be eaten in like colors. It makes a little more sense in the context of Skittles since the colors do actually indicate different flavors... but I am fully aware that there is no logical explanation for the M&M eating. I am proud to say however that I have recently been able to move past the craziness just enough to partake of these two candies at the movies (dark movie theater = the inability to see the colors being eaten and we cannot have cross pollination regardless of environmental situations).

This morning I Nathan was munching on some yummy M&Ms and at one point to speed up the distribution process I put a handful on the seat of a chair for him to have easy access to (in my defense, it was a little handful as they were the mini M&Ms). I wasn't paying attention at first, but I started to noticing something very interesting, the M&Ms were disappearing in colors... first the greens... next the blues... then the yellows, followed by the reds and then leaving the browns. How seriously funny is that? My child is just barely two and already crazy like his mommy. I guess I should be thankful that at least we now know he's not color blind :) and that he can apparently group like colors together, but I still think it's a little quirky and reminds me even more clearly that this precious little man is definitely mine, and for that I am so thankful :)

5 comments:

  1. What's wrong with eating them that way? That's the way you aare SUPPOSED to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun it is when our kids take on our traits. And how attentive of you to notice that he was sorting as he ate. Impressive little guy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:29 PM

    I am like that with Skittles, but you're right -- I don't get the M&Ms thing. (o; When I was a kid I would get a bunch of M&Ms & group them together by colors, and I've seen my oldest (Nathan!) do that too -- but I don't still do it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:12 PM

    It is probably a sign of genius, don't you agree?! ha ha. Love, your Mom and Nathan's Nana

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! i'm glad i'm not the only goof ball! i have a "different" way of eating...num-nums too. i guess we're all a little quirkey w/ certain things! :) i feel much better about myself now! :)

    ReplyDelete