Thursday, October 11, 2007

Fickle Fickle Laura

Yesterday I was singing Bolivia's praises as I walked out of the beauty salon with one of my American friends. For less than $10 I walked out with a fresh manicure, pedicure and haircut. Now tell me that isn't something to sing about!!! It was a good morning of relaxation and fellowship and I was grateful to be in a place that allowed all that fun at such a low price...

Fast forward to this morning. We all got around and had a relaxing morning at home just the three of us, continuing to pack and get organized... but also anticipating our Dr.'s appointment at lunchtime. You see today was the day... the day of truth, the day of finding out if Nathan's going to be a big brother to a sissy or a bubba.

But as happens in this life, I was disappointed. Our radiologist had an emergency and could not make our appointment. Reality check, this could happen anywhere, I am fully aware of that. There were even times that it happened with our doc in the states. Emergencies happen in the medical world. But for some reason today I could not get past the blaming the disappointment on Bolivia. Cause it's definitely the country's fault as a whole that I do not know at this very second whether I am carrying a boy or a girl, right? Well it made perfect sense to me in my hormonal frustration standing outside his office. And at that moment I was so thankful my voice of reason (and no, not Jiminy Cricket) was standing beside me with our son, reminding me that everything is okay, will be okay, and is not Bolivia's fault.

What a fickle fickle woman I am... and how redeeming our God is. After the fog from the frustration cleared and I remembered what our radiologist suggested I do... I was able to run down the street to a local hospital and make an appointment with him for later today. Regardless of how it turns out, whether we get in or not, whether this little peanut cooperates and shows us what "it" is... I, Laura Elizabeth Bull, do solemnly swear to remain calm, collected, non-tearful, and non-blaming of Bolivia :)

2 comments:

  1. Laura,

    We have been there so many times and feel your frustration. How many times have I blamed things on Africa?! In fact, we in the missionary community even had a little saying, WAWA - West Africa Wins Again! Ha!

    Let me share another reality with you. There are plenty of things to blame on America too.

    We are citizens of another place, somehow caught in the middle of two continents and two cultures here on earth.

    We will pray for your periodic discontent with the Bolivian culture and ask that you and Gary pray for our frequent discontent with American culture.

    We love you all and look forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the infamous blame game. I think we all fall for that convenient trap no matter what part of the world we are in or what job we do. Personally I indulge myself every once in a while and blame Good Ol' Uncle Sam for being so darn "perfect" and making me have such high standards and expectations.

    Congratulations to you for recognizing what you were doing and then being so transparent about it. And extra Kudos for being so determined for the next time around.

    I imagine (barring any unforseen difficulties) that we will hear the verdict tomorrow.

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete