Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Happy Birthday Nathan!

Well... it's official, my baby boy is now two years old! It's amazing how he's changed in the past two years, during our time here in Bolivia. He and I went to visit the language institute where we studied Spanish upon our arrival. They remembered the culture shocked new mom with baby in tow (only 4 months old) and were so excited and surprised to see us. I realized in that moment, in seeing Nathan through their eyes, just how much my little man had grown up! It's hard sometimes when you're living the changes with your children on a daily basis to realize how drastic they are, but being back in that place reminded me of the little baby that he used to be, and the little boy that he is now and continues to become. He has blessed my life so richly and I'm learning better everyday what it means to be his mommy, and to try to be the best mommy that I can especially for him and who he is as a person.

We celebrated his special day with the team and had cake and balloons and all kinds of fun new presents. His Papa, Nana, Auntie Em, and Great-grandmother all sent him new books and goodies from the states and our teammates showered him with great new toys. We decided to pool the birthday present money coming from Mommy and Daddy into one gift and get a good tricycle for him to have for the years to come. He's still trying to get the hang of the pedalling thing, but I think he's really enjoying it! Thank you to all who thought of Nathan, prayed for him, and sent him special wishes on his special day!


Nathan's special rocket cake... for those Little Einstein fans out there, you'll recognize Rocket and appreciate the work that mommy had to go through to help a Bolivian cake maker to understand why this particular rocket was so special to the birthday boy :) but overall I think they did a great job with just a coloring book cover to work from!

Eating yummy cake with Michaela!

Don't you know Dad... this is fun and all, but I still haven't figured out how to pedal this thing, so I'm not really sure where you want me to take her :)

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Nathan. What a beautiful little guy you have - a perfect combination of Laura & Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet face he has :) come soon! like now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I am browsing through all of your team members' blogs. I am flooded with excitement, anxiety, and fear (reading Julie's latest) for the future work we plan to do in Arequipa, Peru. Do you remember meeting Greg and me on your first trip to see Cochabamba (we were with Bill Richardson researching La Paz)?
    Your little boy is so sweet. Our baby girl is 6 months and it is hard to believe that she will be in similar shoes to your child soon. Is he speaking bilingually very often?
    Thanks for your informative blog. You have the latest post so I decided to comment on your blog. Please tell the rest of your team hello from the McKinzie family and teamAREQUIPA. I look forward to being one country away from you guys.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Nathan had a good birthday! Our little ones are growing up fast, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you are back on line. Your Nathan is a sweety. I was glad to be able to meet him in the Market last Saturday.

    I will be checking in more frequently to your blog. It is reassuring to read what is going on in the lives of people so close.

    Bless you! Angie

    ReplyDelete