Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Oreos and Milk


I will always remember my time with my Grannie and Papa Sterne throughout the years as such fun times. We would go to their house for a week every summer and basically live in our bathing suits for a week since they had a huge swimming pool. I remember picking buckets and buckets of vegetables in their amazing garden, and eating Grannie's amazing cooking all week long.

My Papa was always a card. He was such a mess :) always teasing Emily and I about something or other. He always told us he would put us in for PFC (Private First Class) if we did our chores right, or that if we drank our milk... it would make our hair curly. Or the time he bought the DVD "Lord of the Rings" thinking that he was buying "Lord of the Dance"... expecting some serious dancing to ensue and yet was greeted by orcs, elves and hobbits :) But one memory I have just of him and me was one night when I couldn't sleep. I remember seeing a light on in the kitchen and Papa sitting in there watching TV in the wee hours of the morning. I walked into the kitchen and told my Papa that I couldn't sleep. He quickly moved to put together the magic cure... oreos and milk. After two oreos and a BIG glass of milk... I slept like a baby. Now we all know that it was the milk that helped this little girl sleep again, but I swore for weeks after returning home... that I needed oreos to go to sleep :) I'm sure my mom was just thrilled with her dad at that point :)

When I went to college and was only about 45 minutes from their house I would spend weekends there... enjoy Grannie's yummy food all over again (way better than the caf) and just spend time getting to know them as the people they were since it was just me and them. I so treasure now the time that I had to spend with them and love on them.

My Papa went home to be with our Lord yesterday and my heart aches that I wasn't there... and can't be there now. I would kick into granddaughter mode and take care of things around the house, details that I could help with as they care for other things. But alas I am miles away and my only comfort to send, my only help to give is my prayers. I know they are more powerful than any meal I could cook or errand I could run, but it leaves me feeling a little (okay let's be honest... alot) helpless and aching in my heart. So I petition my friends and family... not only for your prayers at this time for my family... but also that you would love on your family a little extra this year, an extra hug, an extra kiss, an extra I love you... for me.

11 comments:

  1. Oh dear friend, my heart is so sad with you this morning. I know exactly what you are feeling. My grandpa passed away when we were living in Alaska and I didn't get to be "a part" of the whole saying goodbye. To this day (3 years in May) it still feels like he is going to be there the next time we go and visit because I didn't get to say goodbye.

    I'm saying some special prayers for you and your family today. I know your Papa was so loved and will be missed. Keep up the great work over there...God is good! And your Papa was right, Oreos are great right before bed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:04 PM

    Oh sweet friend! I hate that you are going through this without your family around you. I wonder what God is trying to teach you through this time? is it maybe to invest you love and admiration for your family into your little family of three? Who knows but hang in there. I will carry you close to my heart today and pray for you as often as you come to mind-that I know will be many. I love you dear one-keep us posted but until then I will pray for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:40 PM

    Laura, my heart aches for you and for your family. It is never easy to loose someone whom you admire and love so much. We are praying for you and your family. I pray that our Father lightens your load and wraps you in peace. Celebrate your Papa tonight, give Nathan some Oreos and milk before bed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Laura, I am so sorry. My heart aches for you. You are in my prayers, as well as the rest of your family. I love you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. One of the hardest things about being on the mission field is being away from family, especially in the hard and joy-filled times. May God give you an extra measure of peace and comfort today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:40 PM

    Precious daughter, I love your memories. Thank you for reminding me of them. I so love you and love your heart for our families. I know we will be in your prayers. Love you and your men! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:59 PM

    When I started reading your post, I was hoping that it wouldn't end the way I was thinking. I'm so sorry that you weren't able to be there, but I am so incredibly thankful that you were able to see them in October. What a gift to him and to you and Nathan. Nathan will miss getting to know a wonderful man, but I know your stories will give him a good sense of his humor and love (and Betty Boop!). I love you dearly and clearly wish I could be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:18 PM

    Dear Laura,

    I never got to know either of my grandfathers - Papa sounds like the grandfather I always wished I had.

    Prayers and prayers for you and your family.

    W

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sad for you. I pray for peace in your heart during this difficult time. I know it must be especially difficult being so far away. Your Papa sounds awesome--will you introduce me to him in heaven? Much love to you Laura, and to your men.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Laura,

    I never knew either of my grandfathers. Papa sounds like the grandfather I always wished I had.

    Prayers for you and your family,

    W

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Laura! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It is so tough when you can't be there with family during times like these, and I know you and your family are really close. I'm so glad you had that time in college to grow closer to your grandparents-- I'm sure it was extremely special to them, too.
    You're a good granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete