Sunday, December 3, 2006

And the weather report is....

Torrential rains! Which is what we had last night. Gary and I had settled in for the night, as he popped popcorn and kicked my tail at Skip Bo. And as we sat downstairs we literally thought that sleet was falling, the raindrops that began to fall were that big! We marveled at the storm, but didn't think much about it. Until about a half an hour later when we noticed the water level rising on the back porch. Well, if you remember the recent adventures of Nathan's plastic ball in our plumbing system, you'll remember the "door" of sorts that opens to the plumbing system out our back door. Gary lifted it once again and the water level improved greatly. But seeing this made me wonder how things were going in other parts of the house.

This house has already been such a tremendous blessing to us as a family, you can't even imagine. Yet, last night we were introduced to one of its not so nice aspects. The doors and windows to the second floor and attic are, how shall we say, not sealed super tight, so we had quite the water coming in off the balcony (into our bedroom) and around the occasional window.

The reason I recount this to you, is not to complain about construction or life here in Bolivia, but rather to sing praises to God. I realized last night as I sopped up water beside my husband, that God has done mighty things within this daughter of His. A year ago I would have had quite the emotional outburst, ranted about life here, and possibly threatened (just threatened) to pack. But last night God showed me in such a precious way, how He has grown me. For the reaction that followed was nothing I could have done on my own.

There were no tantrums thrown, no frustrations yelled, no boxes packed, and no hateful thoughts within this head. I truly was at peace. A little irritated that a few articles of clothes were ruined in the process, but what amazed me was the mantra that kept coming to my mind... it's just stuff. In the past I have said this to myself on many occasion, to force myself to believe it. But this time, it was not forced, it was not a reminder, it was an overflow of what the Father has placed within the heart of His child. I sat there, a little soggy :), and knew that everything in this house is simply material. What mattered most was that Nathan, Gary and I were safe. We were dry (even if the carpets weren't :) we have food to eat, clothes to wear, and all our needs met. Even if we lost everything, what matters most in this world is still safe, and that's my family. My husband and my son. I held my son a little longer than usual tonight as we rocked, and I was reminded of my love for my two precious men, and I thanked God that those that are my heart are "sano y salvo"... safe and sound :) (loose translation by Laura Bull :)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:40 PM

    How awesome is it to catch up with you guys here! Way to be! Bolivia! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:34 PM

    Leah is good! Thanks for asking. She'll go back for a check up tomorrow and her strength has been slowly increasing every day. Yesterday, we had a really good date which we really needed! thanks for hollering!

    ReplyDelete