Saturday, November 18, 2006

Please let the record show

If there were such a thing as a retraction in blog land, please find the following to be such. Late last night in the process of blogging/journaling some of my thoughts and feelings, it seems they might have been a little misconstrued. First, let me say that I am amazed that there are people back home reading, other than those who are commenting. And for that I am grateful, it's really great to know that supporters back home are able to keep up with us and know how we are doing on an almost daily basis through our blog. But secondly let me apologize for not earlier having posted a public thank you note. You see recently we received the most precious gift from a supporting congregation of one of our teammates, the Sandoval family. Being far away from home this time of year is so hard for so many reasons, but one of the things that could ease a little of the pain is having the same familiar decorations, music, or in this case foods that we are used to having on the table during the holidays. But alas, it is a little hard to find pumpkin pie filling here, cranberry sauce, and other such staple items. This precious congregation was so thoughtful and I cannot even tell you how many times over the last two weeks I have marveled at their thoughtfulness, and said so to our teammates, or fellow Amercians here in Cbba. The Comanche Trail Church of Christ (I pray I got that full name right) sent us as a team a care package aka Thanksgiving survival package, complete with Cranberry sauce, gravy mix packages, mashed potatoes (ready to made of course :) Pumpkin pie filling, pie crusts (now that was smart! they obviously know I've never made a pie crust in my life :) spices for baking that are hard to find here, and drumroll please, homemade pecan pralines... along with pecans for baking (which are nonexistent here, which is so sad that the Cochabambinos are missing out on the wonderful world of pecans). So please know, and hear now, the gratefulness with which we are filled as missionaries on the field, to receive such a precious package! The comments of gratitude have been flying down here, I apologize for not yet having sent them your way! God bless you each for your hearts, your thoughtfulness of us during this time, and most of all your prayers!

*** Side note: the reason I continue to look for things like cranberry sauce is that I have learned my lesson. Here in Cochabamba there are a handful of stores that carry imports from the states. Over the past few months I have seen cans of cranberry sauce, or the onions to go on the green bean casserole. But left them on the shelf as I knew we had months and months to go before the holidays. But now as the holidays grow near, they are no where to be found. So that was the cranberry sauce at 2 dollars a can reference, just keeping my eyes peeled for those specialty items :) to keep my pantry stocked with comfort foods from home! Hope you all understand and know how sorry I am for not communicating earlier how much we appreciate all that our supporters do for us! God bless you all!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:08 PM

    Laura,

    Hi. I'm Priscilla Hunt, the one that fired off an anxious email to Butch because I was concerned that the missionary wives were looking all over the city for Thanksgiving ingredients when we had sent some. I didn't mean to cause you more work by having to send out a "retraction" blog.

    I was concerned that in the frenetic activity of getting Trish off to the US that Butch or Trish had forgotten to let the other wives know about the box. (When he sent his thanks via email, he said that he & Trish hadn't told the other missionaries yet, so I was worried that he still hadn't shared the news.) & I didn't want y'all wasting time & energy looking for ingredients that were already available. IF we'd known that y'all were going to invite some of your students, we would have sent more.

    Nor was I looking for a public thank you; Butch had already thanked us.

    Anyway, I'm sorry I made extra work for you. That was NOT my intention.

    But I most definitely enjoy reading ALL the blogs. It's always good to hear from the mission field from the woman's perspective.

    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priscilla,
    Thank you so much for your comment! We are so grateful for all that you do to support us here in Cochabamba. And I can't tell you enough how grateful we were for your package. Butch is bringing the goodies over tonight as we're going to have the Thanksgiving festivities at our house. We're so excited to open the cans of cranberry sauce, make pumpkin pie, and I'm going to try my mom's recipe for pumpkin bread. You were so thoughtful to do that for us. I just wanted to say thank you, and I wasn't sure to who necessarily, but still wanted to let others know how great our supporters are to us! God bless you guys! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:34 PM

    Oh, what a great idea! I never think of stuff like that. I'm glad you're going to have so many of your traditional Thanksgiving fixings this year, far away from "home." I believe you when you say that you let your guard down and vented about the things you mentioned in your last post, but I also know you are a great example to other women and moms. We all complain about things we shouldn't sometimes, & unfortunately it usually takes seeing someone experiencing tragedy to really make us stop & count our blessings. Thank you for your honesty and for sharing so much of yourself in your blog. I know you're a tremendous asset to your missions team, & you're a tremendously strong woman of faith that we all look up to. Many blessings to you, Gary & Nathan!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As trying as some of these adjustments are, they will become the basis for GREAT stories.Your retelling has already sparked memories of times away. You all are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,
    We all need to be reminded how things are "out in the fields" for our missionaries. Personally, I'm glad you wrote what you did, for now I have an idea as to what to send my daughter April after they arrive in Togo for Thanksgiving in 2007, and keep in mind things for the upcoming holidays. So see, your post had a blessed silver lining after all. =-)
    God bless you in your ministry!<><
    Leslie (April Emerson's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,

    I got your comment on my blog and have to tell you that I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now...in fact, I have you in my Favorites links! :)

    I look forward to reading about your life there in Cochabamba as I spent two years in Togo as part of the Watchi team and feel such a connection to missionary women all over the world because of my experiences there.

    How thoughtful it was for some of your teammates' supporters to have sent some Thanksgiving goodies! Sometimes even if you *can* find the ingredients, you end up feeling guilty paying what they cost there (but not REALLY since you're yearning to celebrate in a true American way).

    I hope that you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving together!

    ReplyDelete