Friday, February 1, 2008

Extra Padding :)

If I were asked to put into words a theory that I have about pregnancy one of my favorites would center around the idea that as pregnant women we gain weight on the backside just as we gain weight with the baby on the front side. For awhile I have to say this perplexed me... because as far as I can tell there's no health benefit to Grant that I gain weight in the backside... his place is up front :) But I have a few new ideas that I've come across this pregnancy that help me understand the "extra padding" in the back that comes with baby territory.
  1. If we only gained baby weight up front, we as pregnant women just might fall flat on our faces when in the upright standing position due to being completely off balance :) Can you even imagine the disasters that could cause in the grocery store aisles? "Preggo down on Aisle 3..."
  2. (I thought about this one alot last night while sitting on our couch) If my normal backside had to bear the weight in sitting position of the added weight that Grant has brought to the front side... oh I don't even want to think about it... pretty uncomfy thought :) The phrase bony butt that my Dad used so frequently as I was growing up somehow comes to mind :)

So anyway, I'm not planning a dissertation or new found career in human anatomy, but just thought I'd affirm our heavenly Father publicly :) ... turns out He really does know what He's doing in the process of forming Grant as He tells me in my most favorite scripture Psalm 139... not only for my little man... but for the Mama too :)

6 comments:

  1. "Preggo down on Aisle 3..."

    Ha! I bet other shoppers would slow down to watch like it was an accident scene on the road!

    Hope you're feeling well!

    (By the way, I found a picture from HS of you and Ladye Rachael 'forgot her last name'. I'll send it your way . . . or just post it on my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I thought of a reason #3 (among many others...maybe you should consider some further research and a dissertation....then again...maybe skip the personal research part!!)

    #3 - To provide the extra cushion needed when that space - the one you could normally fit easily through - the one that looks plenty wide to squeeze through, until you realize you grossly underestimated things and end up scraping your rear through a tight space (sacrificing your hind end to protect your sweet little one is less of a sacrifice with our beautiful "extra padding").

    Hang in there! Molly C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I think you are on to something here girl...

    Thanks for the giggle. :-)

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you are cracking me up! I think you solved the mystery that all pregnant ladies have wondered...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, your thoughts make sense, but what I'm wondering is...why do I have to keep the padding when the pregnancy is over. Couldn't God provide a nice little "easy padding removal" system that would NOT require me to stop eating M&M's? :-)

    (I have enjoyed catching up on your blog...I really love the "goodbye" post. It actually made me cry a little bit. I am longing for America "home" right now. Only four months til furlough!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Laura! You cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete