Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A little education...

Disclaimer... this post is meant to be light hearted and fun... even a little educational... not the bitter diatribes of an increasingly larger pregnant mommy... I promise :) That being said, here we go...

This is my blog space right? So I have the right to voice my opinion... state my mind... gently educate those in need of enlightening? Well whether you have affirmed my soapbox or told me to keep my opinions to myself... here I go!

I have a bone to pick, and yes being that I am 33 weeks pregnant it centers on the new life growing inside me. That is the truth of the matter... there is a beautiful thing going on, a God designed and planned thing going on in this mommy. But for all the people who feel the need to constantly point out to the pregnant mommies of the world, who are working very hard to make babies I might add, that they are getting bigger and bigger and bigger... you kind of kill the mood, spoil the magic, and put a damper on things just a little :)

Let me state the obvious: We women know very well that everyday we wake up and our bodies have grown ounces, inches, at times it feels like pounds just overnight. It is acutely obvious to us when that pair of jeans that fit yesterday just won't let us in, that desk that we just crossed a full room of people to sit in... the same one that we fit in last week at ladies' Bible class, will no longer accommodate the growingness of our bellies, and as the stares or pity looks of those around us prove to us that our poor little bodies are not so little anymore. Having said that, the constant verbal reminder from strangers, "friends" :) and others around us that we are getting "so big" is not exactly uplifting in the midst of the mire of hormones and an increasingly uncomfortable body that is holding us captive until the birth of our beautiful unborn child :)

Please allow me to make a suggestion... the change of subject in a comment regarding the size of a pregnant mommy would make all the difference in the world! Let me demonstrate...

Unsuspecting nitwit approaches pregnant mommy to make the following comment...
"Wow you're getting so big! How are you feeling?"
We can all see that the subject of the first sentence is the mommy... the carrier... the host of the unborn child... now let's try it this way...

"Wow, the baby's getting so big... how are you feeling?"
Now... it's not a huge change, not a dramatic grammatical restructuring... just a simple change of focus. The truth is it was not in my 2007 New Year's resolutions to gain the suggested 25-35 pounds as I entered the new year of 2008. I didn't wake up one day and say... hey let's get fat starting... NOW... :) Billy Crystal did not walk into my kitchen and say hey... let's take your new friends Ben and Jerry and turn your butt into a helipad :) (We love that scene in Forget Paris).

But the reality is that to remain healthy and for the health of my unborn child, my body will grow as he does. My body will give nourishment, a safe place to develop and grow and eventually life to this new little man about to enter our world. Please know that it is by the grace of God that all this is allowed to happen and I am so aware of that. I thank Him everyday for the gift of our new son... and I know that He is who has given me the strength to endure another pregnancy... yet it's my physical body that's growing, changing, and let's be real... aching. So please... if you feel the need to comment on the changing size of a pregnant mommy in your world, take a moment to stop and remember that it's the baby within that is the cause of her growth. Remember that in that one subject change you can give much needed encouragement to a pregnant mommy... reminding her that you think it's amazing what's happening as she nurtures a new life within her :)

If you're still with me :) let me say a huge thank you for your listening ear... your patience... and your humoring me in the midst of the beautiful world of pregnancy :)

11 comments:

  1. Very well said! It's good advice to us mommies too. I find myself having to remind myself when people say things like, "Wow, were you this big last time?!" that God designed this process perfectly, and I am putting on weight because I have a person living inside my body!! Keep up the good work! Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! One word can make a big difference. I liked to think "We are growing" instead of "I am growing".

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN!!! I got so massive with Caleb that I had a friend tell me that she was jealous of me that people could tell I was pregnant (what a polite/not-so-polite way to say I was huge!)! I feel you and will be praying that the precious cargo that you carry will continue to grow and be nourished through you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had someone tell me at 5 months pregnant that I wasn't going to make it b/c I was already to big - I think I might email them your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to change the subject focus. I am sure you are looking beautiful and have a matronly radiance that glows on your face. It is so amazing that such a tiny little being can take the body hostage, like you say. (smile)

    Hope you are having a great 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the joy of thoughtless comments! I remember having a few of those directed towards me when I was pregnant:) I am sure you are a beautiful mother-to-be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious and well-put, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious and well-put, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll "amen" that one . . why in the WORLD do people not think when they inform a woman of what they are already PAINFULLY aware of when they are prego . .that they are growing at a rapid pace!! Just so you know, I caught a glimpse of you and hubby at Walmart the other day (from too far away for it to be socially acceptable to yell at you) and I thought you looked FABULOUS. You can soapbox any ol' time you want, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. tact seems to be lost on a few (too many) people when they approach a pregnant woman. Thanks for sharing! You speak for all who've carried little ones for nine months!

    ReplyDelete