Sunday, January 13, 2008

Nathan's creative offering...

Well we’ve made it home safe and sound… Nathan is settling back into running around the apartment like a little wild man and we’re slowly resettling into life here. We’re being reminded of differences we experienced in our first days here… crossing the street, differences in shopping and the ever exciting adventure of cooking in a foreign country :). We’ve reorganized the apartment a lot over the last week and we’re almost unpacked. Still have lots to do in the baby’s room, but little by little it’s all coming together. It has been good to be back in our own beds and in our own space although we sure do miss being with family and friends too.

We had our first Sunday back at church this morning and it was so good to see everyone. I should have realized though that our first Sunday back here would be as emotional as our first back in the states, but remember, I’m a slow processor :). I was thankful to be able to greet new brothers and sisters in Christ, hug their necks and meet new visitors, but it was hard not having my parents and sister sitting down the pew from us. I missed having a nursery or Children’s church for Nathan, and I had to remind myself that it was back to work :) needless to say I personally was exhausted at the end of the day. It was a good tired, but tired none the less.

But I have to remember to tell you one of the most precious things about this morning. I was in the kitchen preparing tea and coffee for our time between service and class and Gary walked into the kitchen with the offering baskets. During our time home we worked with Nathan on giving to God as he put money into the contribution plates at the many churches we attended… he even tried to take up collection one Sunday night after church when he found the plates up front unguarded, but that’s a whole other story :)

This morning found my little boy without change to put in the plate, and I like to think that in his sweet little mind he thought… what else could I give to God that’s worth a lot to me? And what did he have at the time but his gummy fruit snacks. I know that many people have sent these precious snacks of gold to us packed in envelopes for our toddler since we can’t get anything like them here, so I followed their example and used the tiny packages of yummy snacks to pack in our trunks on the way home… they’re great space fillers and good treats for Nathan. Well, apparently Nathan offered his to God this morning :) Gary brought the basket over to me to see this morning and what did I find but two precious gummy snacks placed in the collection basket as Nathan’s offering to God. I’m reminded of the widow in scripture who gave all she had, and I’m thankful for the lesson that I hope Nathan is learning to give what he values most to God!

Thank you for all your prayers over our travels back home and for your continued prayers as we continue to adjust to being back. Please continue to pray for us as we set new goals for our work here in Cochabamba: working to set goals for our family that will best serve the church, our family, and above all our God.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:44 AM

    What a precious boy! He must have known that we were studying the widow's mite today in our 2's class at RHCC! Really, we did. We love and miss you all. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the most precious stories I had heard from him. It's amazing what they learn at such a young age, and how much that will stay with him as he grows. Glad you are getting settled, love and miss you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that brought tears to my eyes:) I am glad you made it back safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious story:) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet is that! You guys are doing a great job as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sweet! It is no surprise that he is growing into a boy with that type of heart.
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete