Friday, February 16, 2007

What is it about a haircut?

Well in true Bolivian fashion I waited 45 minutes today at the salon for the man who cuts my hair to arrive - even though I had made an "appointment" :) I put that word in quotes because time is used so... how should I say it... loosely here, and I still struggle to adapt. When I make an appointment for 4:00, and at 4:45 Fabio (yes I know I had to kind of chuckle the first time he introduced himself as well) finally arrives, I have to remember, this is life here. Adjust Laura, take a step back, read a magazine, talk to the people around you, and take a deep breath. Today it worked. I wasn't mad, I wasn't irritated, and I was even in a good mood when we left. All that to say, maybe just maybe, this time driven, schedule oriented, list making, organizational crazy woman is learning to adapt to her surroundings :) So I walked out of the salon not only feeling great about my haircut (I so love getting my hair cut!) but also feeling good that maybe just maybe today was a sign that I'm growing. And hey, a great haircut for 30 Bs. (not even 4 dollars) is worth the wait :)

9 comments:

  1. Laura,
    That is such a good lesson to share and for all of us to learn. Thanks for the reminder that I need to step back and enjoy every moment of every day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish we had a good "coiffeur" here...all I've seen here is shaved heads and weaves. ;)But I totally understand the time-thing...we're still adjusting to it.
    -april

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey organizational crazy, time-loving woman...proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is just something about getting a haircut and having some alone time! Every mom (and dad) need some time and the salon is one place to get it for sure!! Besides, getting a new "do" just feels good!! Here's to cheap haircuts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:56 AM

    Yea! I'm really proud of you for being patient. Sometimes I crack up when God tries to teach me a lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love getting my hair cut also. The day before is like the night before Christmas for me.
    I met your sister this weekend. I was as Richland Hills visiting my sister and saw her at church Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're talking about your hair in your profile photo, then yes--you got a GREAT haircut! It's so cute!

    Meanwhile, I have a sudden conviction that I am living in the wrong society. You see, I am the punctuality-impaired, casually scheduled, ten minutes late person that is constantly driving list-making, organized people out of their minds! I don't do it on purpose. Maybe I just have some Bolivian genes mixed in there somewhere...

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:41 PM

    Hi Bull Family,
    The pics are sooooo cute of Nathan with Gary's glasses on. John is helping me send a comment, every time I try to send something I can't get it to go through. Just wanted to say hi and that I love you three.
    Aunt Sherry


    i

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd wait that long for a haircut too! Especially for that price! So glad you liked it and that you were able to relax and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete