Sunday, October 12, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things...

So one thing you learn on the mission field is there are many many things that you can learn to live without. You learn to improvise, splurge insanely while home on furlough, or simply dream of the things you miss (I literally smelled my Dad's chocolate chip cookies in a dream the other night :) imagine my disappoint when I awoke...) But occasionally on your trip to the Americanized supermarket you will find treasures that will grace the shelves of your pantry for a rainy day and until then, bring smile, upon smile, upon smile to your face :) Here are a few of mine...



This is the first time in almost three years that I have found blueberry muffins... I know, so great right?!! The thing about blueberry muffins is they are one of my favorites... and even though I've gotten pretty handy in the kitchen making things from scratch, there are no fresh, nor canned blueberries to be had in Bolivia. So this was super fun to find... as were the chocolate chip muffins, you can't go wrong with real chocolate chips.

And in our three years here I have not once seen dryer sheets. Most Bolivians wash by hand and line dry, so if they use some type of softener it's a liquid softener rinsed in after the wash. You cannot even imagine the elation (I know it sounds dramatic, but it's not!) that I had in finding dryer sheets! I stood in the aisle for who knows how long just smelling the box! I know that the people around me probably thought I belonged on the street outside with the local glue sniffers, but I didn't care :) You never really realize the power in that little bitty dryer sheet until you go without them for years. I've found some great liquid softeners here, but they're just not the same!

And who can pass up some real name brand Ziplocs I ask you? Not many missionaries I dare say... and gallon size at that! Thanks for indulging me in my recounting of the favorite things now tucked away safely in my pantry :) (oh, and did I mention the marshmallow creme and Goldfish? It was a good week in the Bull house :)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:14 PM

    You better go buy all the rest of those dryer sheets before I get my grubby little paws on them deary! :-) hee hee hee

    signed,

    the dryerless bandit

    (I dare you to click my link - the song's worth the wait for the page to load)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can echo all of your items (not the dryer sheets b/c we line dry our clothes) except the goldfish. I am so jealous of the goldfish. I miss those for Ana soooo much. I read on Julie's blog that you guys can get Velveeta too. Could you PLEASE have Bolivia send the Goldfish and the Velveeta Peru's way? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next time you're in Brownwood I'll make you some blueberry AND chocolate chip muffins and we'll let the kids get hyped up and run around the family life center!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you can get all that stuff there! Boy did I move to the wrong part of the world! Just kidding, but the goods would be nice! I get excited at the sight of cheese in a store! Enjoy them, and stock up before they are gone!

    ReplyDelete