Thursday, October 16, 2008

A little cookie goes a long way...

So I finally got around to watching Stranger than Fiction the other day (I know it's been out for awhile, but remember, I have two small children at home that do occasionally require attention). It was interesting for sure, and in the midst of watching it, I think I found my new favorite movie quote... although, "These mashed potatoes are so creamy" will always be a tough one to beat. I loved when the character Ana looks at Harold and in describing her decision to leave law school and take up baking says... "If I was gonna make the world a better place, I'd do it with cookies!" I think she and I could be very good friends :)

I love the impact that doing something small, but thoughtful like making cookies can have. I've used the theory many a time here in Bolivia... whether it's to get in good with my new English students (who just happen to be Nathan's teachers at his preschool), minister to someone in the church who's down, or ask forgiveness of the customs official I yelled at over a package (not one of my proudest moments that's for sure!) a good cookie (no-bakes are the sure fire hit with the Cochabambinos) does wonders to overcome cultural barriers, and human blunders :)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:08 AM

    My kids were having a discussion the other day. Here is a segment of it:

    "Who is the one with the three little girls and one is a baby?"

    "Mrs. White."

    "No, Mrs. White has Taylor."

    "Mrs. White is a good cook."

    "Mrs. Bull is a good cook too."

    "Mrs. Bull is a good baker."

    "But who has the little baby girl? She is a good cook too."

    "Mom..."

    (Me) "Mrs. Marcum."

    "Yes! The brownies!"

    (Me) "I think that is Mrs. Bull."

    "Both of them are good bakers."

    "But Mrs. White is a good cook."

    :-)

    Thank you for doing the little parts that make a big difference. I love your baking. I love you!

    - Angie -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that movie- cookies always make the world a better place! We've found that banana bread helps put a smile on that grumpy post office worker around here!

    ReplyDelete