Friday, November 21, 2008

Christmas here I come :)

Yesterday found me pulling down all my boxes of Christmas decorations... I know, I know, it's not Thanksgiving yet. But you see here in Cochabamba I don't have the benefit (and yes I do mean benefit) of the holiday advertising, Christmas music on the radio or in stores, and the cooling temperatures to help me get into the holiday spirit. So yes, I'll confess I pulled out the Christmas CD's over a month ago. I know to some people it's an unforgiveable offense, but you know, you do what 'ya gotta do to make it when you're far from home over the holidays.

In listening to my beloved Christmas music I was reminded of a long ago miscommunication between myself and Karen Carpenter. I grew up on the Carpenter's Christmas album and am a better person for it :) But as a little girl I remember being very confused with the lyrics, "And so I'm offering this Christmas wish, to kiss from 1 to 92." Did that mean that you were supposed to kiss someone 92 times... Did it mean you should kiss for a count of 1 to 92... this perplexed me for years, until one day the comic strip "ah-ha" light bulb went off above my head as I realized it was "to kids from 1 to 92". Oh the fun there is to be had in the confusion of communication :) Tomorrow I'd love to share some thoughts with you on our holidays this year... tonight my brain's so tired you just get the kissing story... until tomorrow when my lucid thoughts return... here's to kissing from 1 to 92 :)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:43 PM

    And add to your confusion that came from your dear old Dad's delight in going for something non-traditional -- Let My People Go by Whiteheart.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are right there with you! We bought a small christmas tree at the market yesterday and decorated it this weekend. We have no shame that Thanksgiving is still a few days away. There's too much fun in decorating early when your holiday will inevitably be different than it is when you're "home". Thanks for all of your encouragement. You are very much a mentor for me through our blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your comments, laura. our families are actually coming to visit us this christmas. so, our real first christmas alone will be in peru. we will be here in CR until april to finish school. our family and one of our other teammates will be here, but the rest will either already be in peru or in the States for a bit beginning in january. our year is not necessarily a settled year until around the end of may. that's when we will get to peru. so, about the oranges: we just got "cloves" from the grocery store in our spice section. not sure if you have that there, but if so, we just got 2 small packages of them, 4 oranges each, and that's it! you just poke the cloves into the oranges, and the smell is amazing! hope it works for you. let me know if you need more info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was The First Christmas CD I bought for our family, and it is the First CD we play every year when it's time to pull out the CDs. Which, for us, will be next week. :) You're right, it's a great album. (I bought the piano music for that album once and it was very dissappointing.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:14 PM

    Fun story chica. :-) Yay for Christmas music.

    We are back in town so we will be talking soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete