Saturday, March 8, 2008

Becoming...

My mom (that's right... the grandparents are here... YEA!!!) and I watched Becoming Jane yesterday. I have to say my favorite movies are based on Jane Austen books... Pride and Prejudice (the BBC version, not the more recent version)... Sense and Sensibility... and so many others. I so enjoyed Becoming Jane, although the "happy ending" lover in me was a little sad (but I know it's based on real life so at some point there are not always happy endings). But I think the thing I loved the most was the title... Becoming Jane.

This week I turned 30. I have been looking forward to being 30 for years now, to be taken seriously as an adult, not just a twenty-something. So, from an official adult, let me say I love the idea of becoming. It's not always a pleasant process, or one that is painless in the journey, but I love that I'm becoming Laura. I've always been her, in one form or fashion, but to know that in this life I have the liberty and the freedom to become, to evolve, to mature, to explore, to grow, to change... it's a beautiful thing. I'm becoming a better mom, a better wife, at times... a different me, but always becoming more of who the real Laura is... who God made her to be. I catch glimpses of her from day to day and it keeps me going, keeps me pushing forward towards the image of the Laura that God intended for me to be all along. I'm getting more and more comfortable in my own skin, more and more confident in who I am and what that entails in this chapter of my life. So here's to 30, to ten beautiful years in this next decade and to what I'll become on the journey :)

11 comments:

  1. "Now with God's help I shall become myself." -Søren Kierkegaard

    He also said, "Be that self which one truly is."

    You are a beatiful person Laura. I love your sweet heart.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip Hip Horray that your parents are here!! I know you all are enjoying the time together. Savor every moment.

    Happy Birthday to you!!! 30 is great! I know what you mean about feeling more comfortable about who you are. I love that about getting older...knowing and being who I am...who I was made to be. It only gets better and it helps to compensate for the physical sagging and wrinkles (that I have, not you)! You don't have to worry about those for quite awhile yet. It seems the older I get the more I become me and the more comfortable I am with that. Personally I love getting older! Celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN!! You are amazing and inspiring!! Isn't is amazing what our God can do!?!?! What a blessing to know you!! Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post. You have a sweet way of putting good words to what a lot of us feel, but just didn't know how to say it. Thanks for the blessing today . .tell the parents Kendra said HI!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Laura. I was in TN with family and didn't have internet access, and was unable to send you a note wishing you a happy birthday. I hope you had a wonderful one. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!!! Sorry I am a little late. I thought about you all day. We got 4-5 inches of snow, so I was home with the boys. It was a great day for us!! That baby is sooo precious! Nathan looks like such a proud BIG brother. Love the shirt!! Give them kisses for me. Love ya'll Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:35 PM

    I could always see this adult Laura even when you were little. You have a love and concern for others. Hope you had a great birthday. Enjoy your visit from the grandparents. I know they are savoring every minute of their visit. Love you! Aunt Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. becoming....what a neat process to think about. I know God takes JOY in seeing us "become" b/c as parents we enjoy seeing the "becoming" steps in our children.
    peace

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're perspective on being 30 is refreshing. I crave that optimism (hard to come by lately). Welcome to the "grown-up" decade:-) Btw, Grant is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Laura, your paragraph about becoming is really beautiful! I'm about to turn 30 in a few weeks and I think I could have written every word you said. Just not so eloquently. :)
    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a joy to watch and be a part of this "becoming" process - I have learned so much from you and am thankful for your friendship and the great part you play on this team.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete