Saturday, November 24, 2007

Back Home...

I knew when we boarded the plane over a month ago now that the holidays would be one of my most treasured times and memories of this year's furlough. I knew that gathering with family and loved ones, catching up, sharing meals, old stories and new times together would fill my plate in such a special way. And my heart is full!

Not living close to family and loved ones has to be the biggest challenges that we have faced over the past two years. It's a sacrifice we were aware of as we left... but one that I don't think I was truly prepared for. Yet, it's a reality of our life and our work. I was reading about friends who recently celebrated the birth of their second son, but there were no grandparents there to snap photos, to hold the new grandson or love on the mommy and daddy. She talks about how the experience still had its specialness in that there was an intimacy for their family unit, she, her husband and their first son. But I can imagine there were hard moments too of longing for their families to be there as well.

Gary and I were so blessed to have family and loved ones surrounding us at the birth of Nathan, but since then have missed out on the joys of watching him spend special times with those we love from back home. There is definitely an intimacy that our family shares because of the time that our little unit gets to be together far from home... but those weekend trips to Grandma's don't happen for us, the birthday wishes happen over a computer microphone or web cam.

I know that in moments of weakness I yeah yeah about not having the physical things that I have access to here in the states, especially as a mommy. But the reality is that being so far from home has only further taught me that there is nothing in this world more valuable than those that we love. I will treasure the memory of watching my son play with his grandparents and aunts and uncles long after the things we take back with us are used up or outgrown. And that was what I treasured this year, and stored away in my heart just as Jesus' mother Mary did so many years ago.

Yet, in the midst of turkey eating and game playing I was surprised again (as I have been many many times this trip home). God has a special way of whispering in our ears doesn't He? This time He whispered to my heart... reminding of how blessed we are by all who surround us and work alongside us in Bolivia. It was such a treat to be back home for Thanksgiving, and I know it will be just as special to be here for Christmas. But I was reminded of one thing that differed this year from last... an excitement.

Here in the states since we are so blessed to be able to see family and celebrate the holidays with our traditions and activities on a yearly basis, it seems like the excitement, the novelty has worn off a little. Last year I can remember us ladies sitting around dividing up the Thanksgiving meal... who would go searching for that can of cranberry sauce in the import stores, who would try their hand at their first homemade pie crusts, who would tackle the job of the turkey, and so on. It was a challenge, it was an adventure and we all took it together. As young first time mommies on the mission field we had so much fun figuring out how to make it work. Thanksgiving lunch was at our house, complete with extra baby monitors so that we could put little ones to sleep and play games all afternoon. There was a camaraderie as we sat and sang hymns in English together, alongside our Christmas tree clad in all its glory and smelling the wonderful smells from home.

I missed that electricity this year. Last year I was surrounded and blessed by a different sense of "family". God has an amazing way of meeting our needs doesn't He? This year my needs for family have been met ten fold and I will forever be grateful... but even in the times that we are far from them in miles, He fills our needs in our teammates, friends and Christian family in Cochabamba. It shouldn't surprise me that He's so amazing at fulfilling the needs of this daughter whom He created... but it continually does, and with every gift that He gives, my gratitude and humility grow and deepen. That the God of the heavens would take the time to meet my needs continues to amaze me. I pray that your holiday was full... full of life, full of love, and full of "family" (whatever that may have looked like this year for you :)

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your treasuring the time with your family - but we missed your presence around the Thanksgiving table here. There is a specialness about celebrating those American holidays with those here. We love you guys!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes family is a treasure. I am so glad to hear that you are relishing the moments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading every word of this post. Thanks for the blessing of sharing your heart . . I'm so glad your is full, and I know the rest of your time here will be just more icing on the cake! Blessings -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,

    We know just what you mean. I am so glad that God has blessed you with this perspective.

    Have you checked our blog lately? You better rush over there. There is some interesting stuff there.

    We love you all,
    ----Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just celebrated my last holiday time with my side of the family. I am sooo sad thinking of this time of year next year. Keep writing about your experiences. It is so encouraging to me to read them. I already know that leaving my immediate family is the biggest sacrifice I will make. But praise be to God who fills us up and gives us more than we ask or imagine. Happy Holidays to Team Cochabamba!

    ReplyDelete