Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bargain or Commitment

One of my most treasured books right now is "Though None Go With Me" by Jerry B. Jenkins. I love the real and candid look he paints of the life of a woman trying throughout the seasons of her life to follow her God, wherever He leads. While I was home recently my mom and I were able to watch the movie version of the book (which the book... as usual... was much better!), but there was a quote in the dialogue of the movie that I did not remember reading in the text of the book. But one for which I was grateful to hear and be reminded. As the main character faces trials and hard times she remembers back on something a loved one said to her... "You made a commitment to God, not a bargain." Simple words, simply put, but what truth. How many times have we heard the phrase... "I didn't bargain for this." I am realizing more and more everyday the truth in the idea of commitment vs. bargain. I committed to God as I put Him on in baptism, but I didn't understand the depth of that commitment, at that time I really think I was bargaining with God... Okay God, here's my life, heart, and all of me, until things get rough, and then we'll have to see about this. I made a commitment to our work here, and on the days when things are frustrating, or overwhelming, it has brought me such comfort and strength to remember, I did not make a bargain with God, I made a commitment. I committed to His work here and to His church here, I committed to the good days and the bad. And when I remember the difference in commitment and bargain, I also remember who it is that I made that commitment to... the God of the universe, who will always sustain, guide and protect me. That reminder of my commitment and of the God to whom I am committed has helped me in so many ways over the last few weeks. It has given me the endurance that I need to run the race, I pray that it will you too! "Though none go with me... still I will follow... no turning back... no turning back!"

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:58 PM

    What a GREAT reminder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:42 PM

    I had great need for that today...thanks for the reminder of the distinction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wisdom. It gave me a much needed reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome thoughts! I have never heard of that book or that movie but it sounds like a book I would love to read...commitment is the only way to go and what a reward we get in the faithfulness of God. My heart is connecting with you in these thoughts today.
    Blessings!
    Kelly Vaughn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:22 PM

    I read this book several years ago. It was a wonderful book. I also saw the movie, I have it on video. It has a powerful message about commitment. Thanks for reminding me. I love you. Give the guys a hug for me. Love, Aunt Sherry

    ReplyDelete