Sunday, June 4, 2006

Temporary Single Mom

As I type, my husband is the bedroom packing for his first trip since our arrival in Cochabamba. He and our teammate Butch Sandoval will be heading to Santa Cruz in the morning to visit with the brothers and sisters there, hoping to encourage them, and knowing that in truth, they will return all the more encouraged as well. But I feel like God is revealing to me an area of weakness in my walk right now as I watch Gary pack.

I am reminded of my precious son, who right now is loving exploring his new boundaries as he's starting his army crawl, and starting to stand up beside furniture without any help from his mommy and daddy. I can almost hear him saying already, "I do it myself!" And I think when I am truly honest with myself, I say the same thing to God so many times.

I rely so heavily on the support from my husband, and on my own strength, little as that is at times. When in reality I am saying to the Almighty God, no it's really okay, I've got this one on my own thanks. When I long to remember that like my son, who has learned to stand with the help of his mommy and daddy, it is that only by the grace of God do I stand.

And that it's not so scary watching Gary head off the airport, knowing that Nathan and I will be on our own for a few days, because the God of the universe walks beside me every step of everyday, if I will only let Him. Here in lies the catch, surrendering control for long enough to realize that I cannot do it myself, nor with only the help of those surrounding me here on this earth.

But if I will allow God to care for me, if I will spread my arms like Nathan does when his daddy tosses him in the air, trusting that his daddy's arms will be there to catch him as he comes down, I will find a peace and comfort, a strength to stand no matter what faces me in this life. So thank you my brothers and sisters, for listening to the growing pains of a sister, halfway across the world! God bless you all and Good night. -Laura

3 comments:

  1. Laura, we will be praying for your family while you are separated. May God bless you as you are serving Him. ~The Channing Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura- Know that our Father will always catch you, maybe a little lower than you might want but his arms are spread wide and waiting for you to land in them. We love you all and miss you!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete