Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A Sense of Loss

There is not a thing in the world I would change about where God has brought us, how He has guided us, or who He has brought us to Bolivia to serve with. That being said... I had no idea how very hard it would be to transition. Not so much to a new culture. Not to say that the aspect of culture shock is not real and true in our lives. But the transition has been hardest for me as I work to rely on the Lord for my support and strength. I think my whole life He has been trying so desperately to teach me that He is all I need. But in the states there were always others, good, even amazing people there to rely on. And now, miles and miles away, there are fewer and fewer support systems present in our lives on a daily basis. Gary and I were blessed with wonderful support systems in the states. We have wonderful families, friends from Harding, from high school, from our time in North Little Rock and our time in Brownwood before our move to Cbba. We made amazing friends and were blessed by the fellowship of our brothers and sisters at Austin Avenue. From the Adult I Sunday school class to Small Groups we attended, from teaching the Kindergarten / First grade class (Beverly Stewardson is a sssssneaky recruiter) to the youth group teens that we love, from our Support Group that we met with to pray to ladies Bunco, and the list could go on and on, we have precious ties there. Ties that in truth made it harder to leave. I miss so much the fellowship of our friends and family. I can remember at times trying to make excuses to skip activities or different things (being the homebody that I am) and now I would be at everything I could, just to have the fellowship that I miss so dearly. Not to say that there is not a point at which we have to say no, I know that business can be just as bad as lonliness... just saying to those of you who have the precious gift of being at home, cherish those you love. Tell your friends how much they mean to you. Support each other, and take advantage of the time you have together, for yourselves, and for those of us missing it from afar.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder of how much we should cherish what is so freely offered to us here. I love you Laura -- Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder of how much we should cherish what is so freely offered to us here. I love you Laura -- Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Amen! I know how you feel, sort of isolated there. I am praying for you and your team. We love you. Heather Sutherlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling it with you. You are in my prayers as you continue your "transition" process. May the God of Peace give you comfort and bless you immensely in your walk with him. Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am feeling it with you. You are in my prayers as you continue your "transition" process. May the God of Peace give you comfort and bless you immensely in your walk with him. Love you...

    ReplyDelete