Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Not really mine...

Disclaimer... as I was editing some posts last night I realized that I had written this post and never actually posted it... but I really love the lesson I learned in this post so I wanted to share it with you all... (keep scrolling down for new pictures of the boys on our trip back to the states!)

It's true what they say about having a second child... that in so many ways it's much easier than the first, and yet at the same time it turns your world upside all over again just like the first one did. Grant has been no exception. He has been a joy of a baby already, but has come with his own set of quirks, as should any little person being born into this world!

I've done so much more praying over my boys since his birth. It's been such a humbling experience trying to understand how to be the best mommy that I can for both him and Nathan at the same time when they are at such different places in life and seem to be such different little people. Grant has had some problems with reflux since his birth, more so than Nathan ever had. One night as he spit up so much that milk came out his poor little nose (now that will break a mama's heart!) I was praying over him and his health. I won't tell you that God appeared to me in Grant's room, or that I heard the audible voice of God, but I will say that He spoke volumes to my heart that night.

As I sat there holding my little man I realized he isn't really mine. God seemed to speak directly to my heart as he explained to me that Grant is first His, then mine. Who am I to worry about this precious baby when he's God's first, will God not take care of his own far better than I ever could? And can He not show this humble servant of a mommy how best to "mommy" his son? It really is amazing the peace and comfort that it brings in knowing I'm not in the "mommying" business alone, that not only do I have a wonderful earthly father of my children alongside me in the journey, but a heavenly father that is with me in parenting my children every step of the way! Whew... that's a relief :)

5 comments:

  1. Laura you are a wonderful mommy!

    I miss you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - I am friends with the Custers and Marcums from our time at HUGSR in Memphis. I linked to your blog from the Marcums...hope you don't mind.
    Just wanted to say I REALLY needed this post. We are having our first child on Monday and throughout the pregnancy I have already done so much worrying about 'my' baby. It was just good to read your thoughts and reminders. I intellectually know that God is in control but making it a heart and mind matter is really a big step - but a needed one! Thanks! God bless you as you raise your boys. Nicole Whaley - www.jasonandnicole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pics of brunos baptism!!! (i think im ganna steal them) man, i love these blog things, i miss coch so much! i hope your trip is at least a little relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Special Request...

    Can you email me at:

    seth.m.haines at gmail.com.

    More details upon email.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:02 PM

    Laura,

    It's Lori (Gunn) Hotem leaving a post on your blog from all the way in Richmond, VA! I've kept up with your blog since you and Gary moved to Bolivia and have so enjoyed seeing Nate grow up and now enjoy hearing about both of your boys, as well as your adventures as a family in Bolivia. What awesome work you are doing - I so very proud of you and glad to be able to say "I knew her when...". We should do better at keeping in touch - I have a little one of my own now ,a 15th month old named Kaitlyn and she is truly the love of my life!
    Hope to hear from you soon - send an email my way - (lori.hotem@comcast.net or lhotem@weinsteinproperties.com)
    Love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete