Monday, July 14, 2008

A little smell of home...

A few Saturday nights ago I was working on getting us ready to go to church in the morning. Since there is now one extra body to get ready in the morning :) I've learned the art of having all our clothes laid out, diaper bags packed and by the door, and distractions for Nathan ready to go.

This particular Saturday night found me ironing (for those who know me well... please don't faint in disbelief). I had pulled out a sweater for Gary to wear since we are in the middle of our winter season here in Cbba. As I went to iron it, I was reminded quickly that he hadn't worn it since we were home on furlough... which meant that as the vapor from the iron touched the sweater... the smell of the detergent and dryer sheets from my mom's laundry room still lingered.

There sure is something about smells isn't there? It amazes me how they can take us back so quickly. I was simply ironing a sweater in my bedroom in Bolivia, and suddenly I was back in my parents house, miles and miles from here. I love those little moments, those smells, sights and sounds that no matter where we are in that moment remind us of beautiful times and wonderful memories that the Lord has blessed us with! As I buried my face in his sweater, I was reminded of how truly blessed I am!

3 comments:

  1. This is precious.

    I love hearing about the dynamics of my friends homes. DaRonn would never let me pick out his clothes for him; I tried it once... never again. :-)

    Love you Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:45 AM

    Just wait 'til you revisit the smell of your Grannie Wallace's kitchen filled with the aroma of chocolate rolls.

    See you soon!


    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever see Rattatoui... Critic eats the dish and is transported like a child to his Mother's kitchen. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete