Friday, January 26, 2007

It's half full... not half empty

These past few weeks have been a struggle for me to love life here. It's not that I don't love the people here, or why we are here... it's that life here is alot harder than life back home. The daily routine of cooking, cleaning, running a household, etc. just takes a lot more time in a third world country. I miss the conveniences of freezer sections at the grocery store, being able to drive my own car whenever and wherever I like, cleaning products like the Swiffer, but I digress :)

So in efforts to refocus myself, today I decided to focus on some things that I truly love about Bolivia, from the big to the small. I started off small (I am always about starting with the easy part first :) and noted how much I love having fresh fruits and vegetables here year round. I know that I complain about having to disinfect them all and the saga it takes to complete that on a weekly basis, but the truth is that having fresh avocados the size of a small cantelope, mangos that are the sweetest thing I've ever tasted, and tomatoes that taste like home-grown from the garden, does make it worth it! I love that Nathan will grow up eating healthy since there just really isn't alot of junk-food/processed food around. It is a small blessing, but a blessing none the less and I'm counting everyone that God allows me to see!

One a bigger scale, I love that Bolivians can find a use or a value in almost everything. As I was riding in a taxi to the video rental store (another thing I'm thankful for... two movies for three days for under 3 dollars) I saw a large building under construction. Now mind you this is not a new from the ground up construction. I have been watching this particular building for weeks now as the workers labor over it. I say labor because to me it is a labor of love. In the states I can guarantee you that this building would have been torn down and something bigger and grander been put in its place. But not here... not here where everything has a purpose and a value. This particular building is being rebuilt. There are parts of it that can still serve a purpose, that can be used, and so the pieces that need to be replaced are, and the original walls and structure of the building will remain.

I love this about Bolivia because it is so different from our disposable society that I have gotten so used to. Little by little I am beginning to see value in all things. That even something I would have thrown away a year ago, when cleaned up and polished up a little, can still serve a purpose, can still be used. Can't help but feeling a little like that house right now. There are many parts of my idealism about life back home, about the way things "should" be, about past sins for which God has forgiven me, that I feel like God is taking out, piece by piece. But He leaves the walls, the original structure, the core of who I am. And I imagine what I will be like as He begins to rebuild me... what will the new windows He puts in look like, will the door be wide so that all can come in? I am thankful that God is teaching me to see value in everything, from something as small as the jelly jar that can be used as a cup to my fellow man sitting on the side walk begging for his daily bread. I pray that I continue to learn what it means to see this world through God's eyes, as His handiwork, and as valuable in everyway.

7 comments:

  1. What a great post. I am concerned with how easily I dispose of things, how little I value what I have and try to reuse & recycle. I love that I am learning vicariously through a friend (who's too far away!) how to value things better. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can honestly say i understand your thoughts and feelings right now. and do be thankful for that video store...all we have is our teammates' or other expatriates' collections. ;) thank you for the reminder to look for the positives in life.
    --april

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is something we all needed to hear. Living in a society that places little or no value on things, I see how this has effected my decisions. I truly appreciate you helping to open my eyes and keep a concern "in my face". How I would love fresh veggies and fruits all year round-lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lately it has been harder for me to count blessings rather than the difficulties. Thanks for reminding me that our attitude is affected by what we focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think one of the toughest things for me to get used to when living abroad was cooking!

    And it starts with buying the groceries. Reading labels in a foreign language. Having to improvise when you can't find certain ingrediants.

    Even the actual cooking of a meal seems to be completely different from back home. I lost 10 lbs the first month - it also helped that I was walking everywhere since didn't have a car!

    But you're right, Laura - you gotta look at it half full. I'm a good cook now because of my time abroad. But more much important than that, my faith in God was solidified during those times when I thought I wasn't going to make it 'on my own' - God proved he was right there with me the whole time.

    As He is for you . . .

    W

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's always the best way to deal with it, look for the good things (even if you have to REALLY LOOK). Hang in there. We will have an extra special prayer here in Searcy tonight for the Bull family in Bolivia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:12 PM

    THanks for this reminder to refocus and see value in everything. I appreciate your transparency during your adventure. It is always such a blessing to read your blog. I love you!

    ReplyDelete