Friday, July 20, 2007

Where's Laura?

So are you picturing me in a red and white striped shirt (like Waldo)... hiding among the masses in a crazy oversized book? :) Because after the last month I have sure felt like "hiding out" for a little while. It's been an action packed last month or so and I hope that explains my silence in blog land.

We had four Harding interns (for 6 weeks or so)... a group of Aggies for Christ (for a few very action packed days)... each survived a serious cold (since we are in the middle of our dry winter season here)... experienced our first "gospel meeting" for the church in Cochabamba... had another fun filled 4th of July at the Marcum's house... a visit from Roland Bowen (one of our brothers and dear friends from our sending congregation)... and are learning how to transition from a team of 5 families to a team of 4 families (as the Custer family has decided to return to the states - www.custers.blogspot.com).

So you count the "extras" along with keeping up with shopping, communication with family (which I have completely slacked on this past month), dealing with the sickies, and emotions that come with transitions facing us and it's been kind of an exhausting month. The visitors we have had brought us such encouragement (and great goodies from home too!). Two of our Harding interns are a married couple named the Eades. They are expert travelers as far as light packers go and so had alot of extra baggage weight up for grabs. My mom and mother-in-law made sure it all got put to good use :) Gary got birthday goodies, Nathan got new clothes, my sister restocked our supply of Starbuck's coffee for like the next year :) and I was able to order some things online for our family! Stephanie (another HU intern) brought chocolate chips from home (she scored big!) and Roland just recently brought staple items like cough syrup, candy corn, and starburst :) thanks to his wonderful wife Carol! So our cup has been overflowing with goodies from home! Nathan is definitely a fan of starburst I've found, so the partaking has had to be limited to after his bedtime... for his own good, right? :)

I have been keeping up with all our friends online though and it's always such a blessing to stay "connected" with family and friends regardless of the miles. Thank you so much for all your emails, prayers and encouragement even though there's been so little coming from this end! I promise it won't happen again :) as much for me as our friends at home. I never knew what a huge blessing this outlet would be for me... a great way to process our experience here in Bolivia and it has proven to be such an encouragement thanks to you my dear friends!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Laura, this is Val from the Women's Conference in March. I can definitely relate to the time you're having right now. We're coming through many of the same things! Anyway, know that I'm praying for you guys. I'm glad that you've had some good opportunities for encouragement. Hold tight to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:46 AM

    Hey Laura! I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now. I found it though another friend's site. It sounds like you and Gary are doing great, minus the busyiness. Wow, how things have changed since the Harding days when you two were still dating and I was the crazy girl that helped to lock the dorm doors at night in Searcy Hall. God has truly blessed you since that time. I'm still in the North Little Rock area attending Sylvan Hills with Gloria, Shawn, Hannah (17 months old) and my mom who moved here almost 2 years ago. There's going to be another addition to the family in early Nov, but her name hasn't been determined. I'll let you know when they decide.
    Thanks for the update!
    In HIM,
    Cynthia
    cynthiadmatthews@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're back in the blogging world. I put one of the little tracker maps on my blog last week and was excited to see your little South American dot pop up. I hope things can calm down for yall a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    It sounds like you guys have been very busy on top of the emotions you must be feeling with the Custers moving away. I know those team transitions can be very hard. May God give you peace as you grieve, adjust and continue hosting and serving.

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:16 PM

    Welcome back to blog world! I've missed you. I'm praying for you. I'll try to email soon. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have missed you, laura!! I'm so glad that you are back that so glad to read that ya'll have been so busy with lots of helpers, what a great joy to have guests in the home with similar interests!! Keep up all the great work over there! Give our love to the Custers (I can't believe that Drew is a daddy, now!! :) ) and we will be praying for all of the teams transistion at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you believe that the tables have turned and now you're the one hosting interns!?! It seems like not that long ago that we were the interns! And YAY that you got so many goodies from home!

    ReplyDelete