Saturday, April 21, 2007

And what would you do?

It's officially 5:35 pm... you started off your morning listening to Disney Playhouse and feeding your little guy yogurt (which by the way he's not so crazy about, but is good for antibiotics!) and then it was off to downtown to say by to Jamie and Hannah (who are on their way back to the states for a visit) and then on to the market (which only took an hour today, man I'm getting good) and then back to the house, when Daddy says hey let's go for a ride out to some lumber yards, at which time you unpack the things that need to go into the refrigerator, realizing one of your bags of milk has busted in transit (you're loving Bolivia for it's "all good things must come in plastic bag" system at this point :) and pack up your two guys and head off for a ride.

After bargaining at the lumber yard, chasing Nathan around, learning that Nathan has quite an arm when it comes to rock throwing (we're definitely going to have to work on that one... as in NOT beaning everyone in the head with rocks) you head back home and Nathan passess out in route. Upon arrival (1'ish) you unpack Nathan from his car seat... change his clothes for naptime since in transition he awoke, give him his milk and blankie, and he eventually falls back asleep... BUT we're going on 5 hours later folks and that kiddo is still passed out upstairs.

Now tell me listening... ahem... reading audience, what do you do? Do you dare risk waking a sleeping child? The usual rule in the Bull house is a definite NO, maintain the sleep at all cost! But, it's nearing dinner time, and I'm wondering, how late is this crazy thing going to be up tonight because of his marathon nap? Do I approach the sleeping beast, or let him lie? That is the question...

11 comments:

  1. a 5 hour nap? wake that child up or you will be up all night with him wanting to play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by my own child (which may not apply to yours) I'd let him sleep. When she sleeps that long its usually because her body has had too much and she just keeps sleeping into the night. Considering the illnesses he's been dealing with, his body may just need to recoup, especially with all of the activity he's had during the day. But you know him better so I can't be held responsible if he's up all night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:48 PM

    I didn't catch what time he started his nap, but I'm also thinking I would let him sleep (too late for my advice, I know). I've almost always regretted waking a child up for dinner time when they were taking a long nap. Times when I've just let them sleep, they slept straight on through til morning.

    So ... what did YOU do??

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote - wake him up so you have somewhat of a chance of sleeping tonight. Speaking as a mother still being woken up between 2 and 3000 times a night, wake that boy up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depends- I know I'm late to the discussion, but there have been times I have let them sleep and others where I have woken them up. If I have woken them up, sometimes they are quite cranky and I end up putting them back down. Good luck and you will have to let us know what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's my thought, for future reference...I think Indie had a good idea. However, I never let Shelby sleep past 4-ish because I want her to go to bed at night. We usually get the bed-time routine going at 8. Sometimes if I don't care if she stays up a little later, then I might let her sleep longer. I agree that Nathan might need more rest (especially right now), but maybe he would sleep later in the day if he needs it?
    What did you end up doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That it definitely the rule in our house. Never wake a sleeping child. A five hour nap though, that is a tough one. Did you get a lot of things done in that five hours?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not being a mom, I have no advice. But I'm curious to see what you did and how it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's the deal with our kids? Michaela took a 4 hour nap yesterday too! Just for the record - I didn't wake her up. I was enjoyed Eliana time too much. But it worked out fine - she went down at her usual time and slept all night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you kidding me? The famous Auntie Em? I don't know if we are worthy of such an honor, but we would love to give her a call if you think she wouldn't mind running around with 3 kids that she doesn't know!! E-mail me her number at gracesusmom@yahoo.com...it is grace, sus, mom...it was before Parker was even a twinkle in our eyes, I'm just too lazy to get a new yahoo account and I really think gracesusparkmom would be really long!!
    You are the BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm chiming in late...but my advice would be...
    You go take a nap too!!!! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete