Friday, August 25, 2006

This is what it means...

So to tell you how the last few days have been here in Cbba... there must be a time of confession. Not necessarily a confession that I am proud to disclose, but one that must be shared none the less. The last year has been a hard year for me... now I know that is not a newsflash to those who know me, or have followed the going ons in the life of the Bulls. But what is not always noticeable is that I had not truly enjoyed mommyhood like I had hoped to. Chalk it up to PPD, culture shock (to mommyland and Bolivia), or whatever else you might think of. But at the same time please don't misunderstand, I love my son, have from the day we found out he would one day enter our world. But have struggled so as a new mommy with confidence. Not sure if other new mommies struggle the same way, but I truly felt inadequate. That doesn't even begin to describe it though, there was an anxiety in my heart about being a mommy. If I had to take Nathan somewhere by myself, or go to church by myself (without Gary) there was an anxiety deep inside me about being enough. Not knowing if I could do it on my own. That yuckiness really spilled over into our marriage, into how I interacted with my husband and my son. Again, please know that my son has not been mistreated :) He has been loved and nurtured from the day he entered this world. But this last week he has been enjoyed by this mommy in a way that I never knew I could. I have loved being a mommy this week. From the crying to the laughing, I have loved every minute. I could tell you different reasons for the change, but there is only one that I know without a shadow of a doubt has come into my life like a fresh breeze, and that is the presence of my Lord. I have prayed and prayed over the last few weeks in a different way than I have since, well... truly since the miscarriage, and my life, my spirit, and my soul can attest to the difference. I thank God for His Spirit that He left to comfort, guide and impart His wisdom until His Son returns. That Spirit has been a new life in me this past week and I am reborn. So to all of those who have us in their daily prayers... know that no matter what you have been praying for us, your prayers have been answered, and this mommy is "disfrutando" (enjoying - savoring) my roles in life. It makes my heart ache a little that it has taken this long, but it is all in the Lord's timing, and His timing is ALWAYS perfect. Praise the Lord oh my soul!

11 comments:

  1. Laura, I love you. Thank you for being open to all of us. This post has touched my heart. I have struggled with feelings of inadequacy as sometimes being a full-time mom is really hard. It's stressful, and sometimes you can wind up being a really big turkey to loved ones just because you're so stinkin' stressed and hormonal. No one told me that before. I'm praying for you, because on some levels, I can relate. I rejoice with you in your new view of things. Thanks, again, for your transparency. Find me, Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. OKay, it's me again. About the bubbles, you can use dishwashing liquid. I don't know what you would use for the wand-thingy. Hmmm... I am confident, though, that you can figure it out because you have always been creative. If not, though, don't fret. Just have your mom bring you one when she comes. (No bubbles, of course, thanks to the new flying/packing regulations.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Laura. I'm praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I am so thankful for you. Your openness is God given. I think every new mom goes through thoughts of inadequacy. I still did after Riley was born-especially since we had such a hard time. I kept thinking "this is my 3rd kid- I should be able to do better/know better by now" and that I was failing her. Being a mother is such a high calling and I am positive that God placed you in that situation for a reason. What it is I am not sure, but he has brought you to this point in life and he will take you further in your "mom role" than ever imagined. You are loved, thought of and prayed for often, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is good. It is incredible how He has a unique and special plan and timing for each of us. Motherhood is a HUGE transition and learning process. I am so thankful to God that He has provided for you in the ways that you need, and that you have been able to glorify Him because of it. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I will pray that as the devil tempts you with feelings of inadequacy that you will be reminded that listening to these destructive thoughts is a downward spiral that discredits the AMAZING spirit of God living inside of you. (Not to mention the incredible talents, love and kindess He has blessed you with). I love you! Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, you have such a sweet and gentle soul and you have so touched my heart with reading this post! I'm so glad that you found my blog on the web and commmented! Motherhood is indeed a big job, but what can be more worthwile than helping your children get to heaven? We can all relate to you in some form or fashion. You just keep on keepin' on with the praying and loving and you will do great! By they way, I love YOUR short hair, too. Isn't it great?
    Much love,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you and am praying. I'm so glad that you are experiencing joy and love after a season of doubt and inadequacy. It makes the joy better don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally unrelated to your post...you answered on Julie's blog that the last good book you read was Though None Go With Me...did I ever give you that book back?

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey dee,

    you sure did. i picked it back up again after the container got here. funny memory, remember the face mask we did, getting stuck to the pillow? need i say more? i thought of that one today when i read your funny memory email :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do I remember the mask night?! Of course I do!! That was the night you said something about "doing the zipper gripper thing" - ha ha ha!! I have pictures from that night! Don't worry, they won't resurface. Those pictures don't show our finer moments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Laura!
    I'm so glad we've tracked each other down. It's wonderful to know the Lord has blessed you so much-- you have a beautiful family.

    Thank you so much for speaking so candidly about the insecurities that accompany motherhood. Doesn't it seem like the topic was rarely talked about b/f becoming a mom? Or maybe women did say something, and I just didn't know to pay attention. I know I felt blind-sided for several months after our daughter was born (and still do on some days). It was excruciatingly overwhelming. Thank you for the reminder to look to God for our assurance, and how prayer is extremely instrumental in, well, everything! I need reminding like that everyday!

    ReplyDelete