Thursday, November 10, 2011

Letting Go...

Tomorrow I will put my first born on a bus.

It will be early morning... we will have rushed around trying to make it from Brownwood to Brady... I will be sipping coffee trying to clear the morning fog from my brain... he will be ecstatic with the promise of a field trip with his friends to a pumpkin patch (he's been counting down the days)... I hope that on the outside I will be cool as a cucumber because I know that on the inside I will be freaking out...

In my head I know that the bus driver is licensed, safe and will take good care of my Nathan... that his teacher will be there every step of the way to make sure he is well cared for. I know it all in my head, but my heart keeps having flashbacks... the memories of two years ago, the international phone call, the news of a tragic bus crash, the loss of three precious and beautiful lives', the mourning, the tears, the lives' cut short, and all the knowledge in my head can't keep my heart from free falling into panic...

Buses crash, people die, and hearts are broken... I'm praying with every fiber of my being that the God who saw us through those dark dark days, will watch over my son, the firstborn of my body and my heart, and that he will step off that bus tomorrow afternoon filled with excitement over new experiences, the promise of watching God's creation and the amazing way that He grows things in this world. But most of all that he will step off that bus... safe... and... sound...

Lord, I know that he's your's first, that he's only mine for a short time... watch over him, place your hand of protection on him, bring him home safely, and please Lord, give me your peace and comfort as I wait...

2 comments:

  1. have missed your writing...it is true letting go is very hard...will join you in prayer for tomorrow's adventure for Nathan!! enjoy your parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Said a prayer for you, sweet Laura. I can only imagine the emotions that ran though you today. Hope that he enjoyed his trip, and that your fears were cast away by God's peace!

    ReplyDelete