Saturday, April 24, 2010

Content...

(Warning to all readers... let the processing begin...) This past Wednesday Joshua and I made it safely back to Cochabamba. We had a whirlwind stateside trip of business and pleasure :) Can I just say as a sidenote that my little boy is the best traveler ever? Not having flown before, and not using carseats here, you never know how your kids are going to react, but he did awesome! It was his first stamp in his passport :) his first flight (6 to be exact) and his first time meeting so many friends and family!

While our trip was great and so needed, I'm having some problems upon our return... what I'm finding is that since the trip was so short, I wasn't given enought time to be tired of stateside life. Usually after furlough I'm ready to head back here to our own home, our slower pace of life, and our work as a family. Even though I was missing my hubby and boys like crazy, I'm finding that I the trip wasn't long enough for me to miss Bolivia.

It's a hard thing living between two cultures. Wow, that's an understatement... and so this last week or so I've really struggled with being content back here in my Bolivian home. It's taken some intentional thinking, giving thanks for the things I do love about my life here, and visits with some dear friends (who understand the struggle of balancing two cultures and being content in whichever one you find yourself) to help me fight the funk.

I know that our time is limited here, that this year is going to fly by. But I don't want to take comfort in that fact. I want to soak up our last year here. I want to savor every moment, every memory, and every opportunity. As Gary will tell you (according to all the personality testing we've done in the course of our married life) I, Laura Bull, am an advancer. Which as I understand it, means that I am a person who likes forward motion, planning and completing the task. This limbo land of not moving forward (b/c we're still too far out from our move date) is killing me. I want to be packing stuff, selling stuff, pitching stuff, finding a house stateside for us, applying for grad schools (for Gary... I am most definitely NOT going back to school), finding jobs to support ourselves while Gary's in school... oh and the list goes on.

But that desire to be in forward motion can rob today of its joy, its memories, and its value in my life. I'm trying daily to remember Paul's words of wisdom about being content in any situation, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation", but can I confess that I'm struggling to put them into practice?

5 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you are processing. These last months are really going to fly by so I am also glad to hear that you decided to purpose to treasure the moments. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your heart. I will be praying specifically for you about these things you've mentioned. You are such a great example for me as I walk a similar journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,

    There is nothing wrong with wanting to come 'home'. You and Gary have allowed God to use you in an amazing way. He has touched countless lives through you and seeds have been planted that will reach many generations to come. Remember that even God rested after His work of creation. He will bless you guys when you come 'home' and you will always have a second home in 'Bolivia'.

    We will be praying that God will allow you to enjoy the time you have left there and that He will start opening doors for you here.

    God Bless,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys so much for affirmation! It's such an akward phase of life right now, being able to process it outloud and have people share in it with us is a tremendous support! God bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wowza... I know EXACTLY what you mean! I made a trip last year and both Micah and I agreed that it was dangerous for me... :) Same thing!!

    amy in peru
    http://apilgrimsproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete