Thursday, May 17, 2007

To know Jesus

A few weeks ago in Bible class Butch was teaching out of the gospel of John and we were talking about what it means to have life... to know the truth... and the root of it all was wrapped up in knowing Jesus. Not just knowing about Jesus, who he was and where he came from... but knowing Jesus... being in relationship with him. I know that we in the church talk often about knowing Jesus. It's an idea that is not uncommon for us to hear or be reminded of.

But God spoke different words to my heart this particular Sunday and reminded me of a different side of knowing Jesus. That morning as I sat in a chair in a Bible class, mind reeling as usual in the constant translation of what is being said, into what I can understand... God reminded that in our move to Bolivia and our missing home, he had given me a way to know Jesus.

My heart has ached in this past year in ways that I didn't know were possible, missing home, missing loved ones, missing my home culture. But what I never stopped to realize is that through this experience, I can understand from a whole new perspective what Christ experienced in leaving his home and coming to earth.

Know that I'm not comparing myself to Christ... or America to heaven (although trust me at times in the past year the states have looked almost as good :) But what I have realized is that I now can understand at a much deeper level the sacrifice that our Savior made in coming to earth. I thought I understood pretty well before... but I had no idea. I know that I still have just a glimpse of what it cost him to leave heaven and come make his "home" among us. But as I sit and think of my life in the states, missing all that they entail... I am able to identify now in a new way with the longing that Christ felt for heaven... his home. I've set up house here... I have my routine... I'm even making new friends, but my heart will always miss those I love and my home here on earth.

I have spent my Christian walk focusing on how Christ can understand me... my life and my experiences, because of the time he spent here on earth. I didn't stop long enough to think about what in my life allows me to understand him better... helps me to know him better. What an amazing gift we have in Savior who wore our flesh, walked our sod, experienced life here on earth, knows our hearts, and allows us to know Him.

8 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I've always found comfort in the fact that Jesus was the ultimate "third culture kid". You're right though - although it helps knowing that He can identify with us, ultimately our journey is all about knowing Him better - and sometimes He uses the most difficulut, demanding or unusual methods to help us reach those higher levels of understanding of His character. I have been blessed beyond measure in our journey together this last year - and am so thankful that He has given me this opportunity to experience some of these things together, and to share our new "knowledge" with one another. I read something just the other day in my study of the minor prophets - a commentary by Jack Lewis on the book of Hosea. He talked about how the word "know" in Hebrew - used several times throughout the book - is also the word used to describe a man's relationship to his wife, the most intimate experience humanly possible. "With Hosea, to know God is no mere intellectual matter, but is rather an intimate relationship that comes by living with and for him and must be persistently pursued." I find it amazing that God longs for us to know him - and longs to know us - in such an intimate way.

    My prayer for all of us is that we do come to "know" God intimately.
    Love you!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, thank you so much for sharing this. What a fantastic lesson! I am blessed by reading this tonight. Love you, dear friend! ~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:53 PM

    Wow! Great thoughts! What a blessing it is to have a friend like you. This is one of those posts that's gonna have to get printed out & left somewhere to read often. (o; You are such an encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge. I had never looked at it that way. I am so thankful that He has placed you in the field, not only to teach in Ccba, but to also teach us here in the states. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you love it that God was stil able to speak directly to you even though the language barrier was hard to understand the complete message. Hang in there sweet friend, you are standing in the refiners fire and one day will be able to minister to others in a unique and personal way b/c God will use the present moments to shape us for whatever the future holds.

    Love you!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,
    God is doing a great work in your heart! Knowing Him...there is no better thing!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,

    This is a beautiful and challenging writing that lifts Christ above self in a very powerful way. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:43 PM

    Laura,
    You may find that you long for the friends and family that you are building now upon your return to the States. You have a great outlook on the events that have transformed you this year. Don't forget that you have become a different person as God changes you. What a powerful story you tell here.

    Paul learned to be content in many cultures and conditions. Imagine the richness of your memories and the lessons you will share.

    Westside continues to pray for you and Gary. We love Y'all!!

    David Ellis

    ReplyDelete