Tuesday, April 25, 2006

You know you're in Cochabamba when....

So in the interest of maintaining a good sense of humor about culture shock here in Bolivia I thought that I would start a running list of ways that you know you're in Cochabamba. I thought this would help keep me laughing about the things that occasionally make me want to pull my hair out, while also helping you experience life here in Bolivia with us. Also, along with it, I am going to start a list of things that we truly miss about life in the states. Enjoy them for us. Hope they keep you laughing.

You know you're in Cochabamba when :)

Your milk comes in plastic bags, not cartons or even jugs.
The dog population outnumbers the human population ten to one.
You can rent movies at the "movie store" before they've even left the theater :)

Things to enjoy for us from the states :)

Nice wide roads, where people actually attempt to obey traffic laws.
Being able to mail in your utility payments as opposed to paying them in person in a million different offices.
Being able to cook with and use the water straight from the tap.
Finding shoes and clothes in the right size because there are actually people over five foot six inches who live there.

4 comments:

  1. I guess I would fit right in over there... not with my questionable driving tactics, but with my 5' 6'' stature!

    Keep up the good God work. God bless you all.

    Cute kid by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you all so much! I am so glad that things are going so well there. We pray for you often and wonder how you are doing. Now that I know where your blog is, I will check with you each week. Can't remember if we told you that we left Maine and are moving to St. Louis. Love you!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should be glad you aren't doing mission work in northern arkansas...where milk just comes in a cow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think...one day it will feel strange to use milk in a jug when you come back to the states. Glad you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete